Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Actually Know the Name of This Flower


It's called a Bird of Paradise, and the only reason I know that is because my husband was super surprised when he saw some in our local flower shop and explained them to me. I guess they are native to where he grew up in California. I was a little hesitant to use such a dramatic flower in an Ikebana arrangement, but I ended up doing it as a little gift to him. I liked how it turned out, but I probably won't ever use them again; my husband sort of forgot to mention that there's a particular gnat-like bug that loves them, and there was 20 billion of their eggs inside that hatched a few days after the flower fully bloomed. Thankfully, they were so enamored of the Bird of Paradise that they all stayed right on the flower, so I could throw it into the trash and run shrieking out the door to try and burn it. Still, it is a really pretty flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment