Thursday, March 7, 2013

Kabocha Friends


Also known as pumpkin friends, these particular kabocha rode on a bus with me one fine day last October, bound for my little rural middle school with its whopping population of 11 students. Not only is this one of my favorite schools, one of the cool things about having only 11 kids is you can have really awesome classes with them. Since it was October, I decided that I wanted the kids to carve Jack-O-Lanterns. This was harder than I originally anticipated, mostly because driving all over the countryside looking for orange pumpkins (most of the pumpkins here are small and green and used for cooking) was more annoying than I thought it would be. Still, I was lucky enough to find a couple nice-shaped ones, and so my students diligently cut them up into quite adorable Jack-O-Lanterns (not bad for a first try, huh?). They were less skilled at handling how grossed out scooping pumpkin guts and seeds made them, though. We can work more on that next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment