Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fall Onsen Trip


Onsens are Japanese hot spring baths, where everyone gets naked and bathes together in natural sulfur infused water bubbling forth from the volcanic mountains dotting Japan. While the word onsen is now used to refer to pretty much any communal bathing establishment in Japan, whether located in the mountains with a natural hot spring or not, the best ones are the real ones. Last fall, before the world got covered with white, I went to an onsen with my boss and another JET in my town. It was a beautiful fall day, and the mountains were covered with shades of red, yellow and orange. On the way back, we even saw full double rainbows, which I had not seen during my entire time in Japan. It was an awesome day, and as the white is starting to recede from the world and spring is not far off, I find myself looking forward to going to onsens up in the mountains again.


No comments:

Post a Comment